Sunday, November 4, 2012

I ate ALL the Candy


I LOVE Halloween.  I love it; it is easily my favorite holiday.  My Halloween decorations went up on September 16th, although this year quite a few of them had to go back into their Rubbermaid storage containers as my nearly two year old daughter cried and ran away when she saw some of the skulls and other ghouls.  I think it’s the mystical energy that this holiday generates which makes it so appealing to me.  There’s also that element of fantasy that is incredibly fun, and which I totally embrace. 

I further revel in seeing all the adorable little children dressed up in their costumes – little girls as beautiful butterflies, unicorns, and princesses.  Little boys dressed up as their favorite super heroes – The Incredible Hulk, Captain America, and Thor (clearly the movie The Avengers had an impact on costume choices this year). My daughter was Little Bo Peep, and her three month old brother went as her little lost lamb.  They were melt-your-heart adorable.
She was a silly Bo Peep, and he was a shy Little Sheep
Living in the middle of nowhere, no trick-or-treaters come to our home.  So, I was completely, totally, enthusiastically thrilled when I learned that the kindergartners in my new district have a Halloween parade through the entire school – the elementary, middle level, and senior high schools.  I was ready for them with bags and bags of candy.  I sent a message to the kindergarten staff to ensure they stopped by my study hall space to collect their treats.

This was so much fun for me.  The kids warmed my heart.  But, there was still a problem.  I bought loads and loads of candy – loads and loads.  Therefore, I had loads and loads of extra candy.  And … I ate ALL the candy.  All of it.  There was an unopened bag of Three Musketeers bars that I had set next to the laptop while I type, and it was gone after two days of posts.  ALL of it.

I know many people that are concerned about gaining holiday weight over Thanksgiving and Christmas.  This is a common phenomenon.  I guess I just got a jump start because I have gained three pounds from Halloween to this date.  Friends and followers, I seem to have lost my will power.  If you encounter it, please send it back to me in a brightly wrapped package.  It will be much appreciated.  I don’t want to be writing a similar post after Thanksgiving called “I ate ALL the pie.” 

7 comments:

  1. Hee Hee! You write the post! As you know, my candy is all gone and I'm jonzin'! It's all I think about. Your kids are soooo cute! My kids' school did the parade thing too. I'm happy you got to see the curies and hand out some treats. Scale tomorrow for me but been chow ing down since I posted yesterday! Something's wrong with how I think. Step on tomorrow with me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lost me at "August 16th." I have a warrant out for your arrest. And a restraining order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shit. I meant September. I have to change that. I'm crazy, but not that bat-shit crazy. Oops!

      Delete
  3. This is why I have hidden the extra candy and am pretending it doesn't exist. And why I waited until the day before Halloween to buy the candy in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm proud that on the restraint I showed in purchasing discounted candy after Halloween. I would be even prouder if I could say I didn't purchase (or eat) any . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. first, the babies: WAY TOO CUTE.
    second, the candy: WAY TOO ADDICTIVE.
    i get it. all of it. today i'm back to very few carbs. at least at 9:30am. ;)

    ReplyDelete