Monday, November 26, 2012

I Want Ryan Gosling


Unlike the vast majority of American women, I hate the book and movie The Notebook.  Truth be told, I hate Nicholas Sparks – period.  All of his novels seem to follow the same plot structure: young couple falls in love, couple is torn apart under unfortunate circumstances, couple is reunited and love springs eternal forever and always.  Puke.  Seriously.   I am not the stereotype of a woman who reads romantic novels and weeps while watching P.S. – I Love You.  Like all Nicholas Sparks, that shit is just too sappy for me and romances like that rarely exist in real life.  If they do, the couple is never as attractive as Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams.
Despite my distaste of most romances, I still sometimes want my own Ryan Gosling.  I want Ryan Gosling to nod and tilt his pretty little head at me and ask, “Hey girl, what can I make you for breakfast?”  Then he would let me sleep in a little later while he prepared our morning meal, we would eat french toast, and then we would crawl back in bed and fuck some more.  If you’re a friend or follower, I know the first question you’re asking is, “Wait? Aren’t you married bitch?” Yes, yes I am.  Relax. Having put that question aside, the next logical inquiry for followers is, “Well, then why doesn’t Ryan Gosling make your short list?”
The response to this very vital query lies in a man’s confidence.  If I were to view a picture of Gosling in a magazine, the image of him alone would not be enough to spawn dirty thoughts in my mind.  The reason Gosling has become the admiration of so many women lies in the way he carries himself.  Speaking personally, I am not attracted to Gosling of The Notebook, but my panties would get a little wet if I encountered Gosling’s character in Crazy Stupid Love. I want a man who is cool and in charge, who makes me feel like the sexiest girl in the room. 
I want my man, my spouse, who I adore beyond belief, to gain the ability to carry himself with more confidence.  As my spouse and I were out at a martini bar this past Saturday, I leaned back in the comfortable leather chair I was sitting in and observed the man across from me.  He was still wearing the pink top and tie he had donned for our daughter’s “tutu and ties” birthday party, and I admired him for seemingly disregarding other’s perceptions of his apparel.  But, he didn’t quite pull off this look with the confidence of Gosling’s character.  He still seemed a bit awkward and shy. 
I smiled at him, and he smiled back.  I felt comfortable and cool sitting in the bar’s back alcove with our friends.  I continued to contemplate my husband, wishing he would give me a tiny Gosling glance and make me believe I was as sexy and desirable as Emma Stone.  He didn’t, and I averted my eyes to the floor in a small moment of disappointment I wished to be visible to no one.  As I looked down, I noticed my husband’s pair of New Balance shoes and realized what I then spoke aloud to our friends: “Shit. Sam is just like Steve Carell before Ryan Gosling’s help!” I know that was a bitchy remark to make, but a) I’m a bitch and b) I was also a slightly intoxicated bitch, which makes me even bolder.
My husband is never going to look like Ryan Gosling.   I am never going to look like Emma Stone.  I don’t give a shit about that.  It’s that take charge confidence that I’m missing.  I wish this not just for myself, but for both of us.  Sometimes I still believe that I’m hilarious and sexy and crazy cool, even if others don’t find this to be true.  Their opinions don’t matter because I love those moments when such a high level of self-confidence is my truth.  I just want my husband to know that kind of truth for himself too.  I want him to recognize that he is hysterical, hip, and handsome.  I really just want to make love to my own spouse (who does make me french toast most Saturday mornings), but while he believes he’s just as attractive to me as Ryan Gosling is to the common woman.   
Love really is crazy, and stupid, and complicated.  But if all I really want is a more confident husband, instead of actually wishing for an extramarital affair with an actor, I think my adoring spouse and I will be just fine.  I can keep on bringing the crazy to our love.  Nicholas Sparks might be lacking for material in our marriage, but I wouldn’t actually choose any other protagonist of this plot – not even Ryan Gosling.  This is real life, where New Balance shoes are an affordable and practical purchase.
 
 
 
 
I decided to link this post up with Yeah Write.  I'm quite certain all the folks on the grid want to read about my sexual fantasies ... quite certain indeed. Smiley face. 
 

19 comments:

  1. I hate Sparks too and love Gosling in CSL and Drive. It's the swagger. You're right. My husband asked me why I just laughed." I was also a slightly intoxicated bitch" is why. I think it's sweet the way you speak of your husband. You're hot for him and you're lucky (or getting lucky). It's true you have to crazy it up yourself. I've been married close to 24 and crazy is always exciting and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stick with the guy who's willing to rub your feet. Looks fade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post and the truth it speaks. You two are amazing together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosling is incredibly sexy in Crazy Stupid Love and Drive, like Gina above said -- it's that swagger. But when he speaks, he sounds like he has serious sinus problems.

    I love this story about real-life love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yuck, I hated The Notebook, book and movie, and refuse to read anything else by Nicholas Sparks, or see any of the other tragic movies adapted from his books. I prefer, as you do, real life and real love. It's messy, and crazy, and sometimes stupid and inconvenient, but when what we have is really, truly ours, it is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicholas Sparks is like Velveeta to me. I only cook with real cheese, thankyouverymuch.

    I love watching my hubby build stuff. I don't know if it is because we met in the scene shop of a theatre or if it is because when he's building crap, he's crazy comfortable in his own skin, but I love watching him build. LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate all Nicholas Sparks stuff too. I like my romance with some action and a little blood. Creepy, I know.

    Since having a child with my husband, I've kind of changed my idea of sexy. I mean, Ian Somerhalder and that Captain Hook guy on Once Upon A Time rate high on my fantasy list. But I'm finding these days that nothing is as sexy as a guy who wants to come home and spend the evening laughing and playing with his wife and baby.
    I didn't even know who Ryan Gosling was until I saw Drive. And it took me the whole movie to figure out whether he was just a crappy actor, or the character was actually that broody. Turns out the character WAS that broody. Who knew?

    I do understand what you mean by having a quiet self-confidence. I suffer from a lack of it, and my husband has it in spades.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hubs is cute! The pic of you is cute too - he musta thought you were sexy!

    I don't like Sparks either (I generally don't read any romance novels - I don't see the appeal).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angela! I love this post. You are awesome.

    I will admit I like the Notebook (movie only - book was annoying) simply because Ryan Gosling is so beautiful. And Rachel McAdams too. And James Marsden, while I'm at it. But I like Ryan Gosling in everything I've seen him in - he's totally unsexy in Lars and the Real Girl - and yet overall it adds to his sexiness because he is SUCH a great actor to pull off the diverse roles he does.

    My hubby seems to possess a strange dichotomy of super-confident and insecure at once... and in a way, I admire both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. I think we can all relate to this. I hate Nicholas Sparks stuff, but fell in love with RG during C,S,L. and my hubs loves the tennis shoes too. I think we are all good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hilarious. And sweet. A great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way you write. You are out there telling it like you feel it. I'll have to try and let it rip once in awhile. I can't read Nicholas Sparks either or watch those sappy movies. I did like Gosling in Crazy Stupid Love but would not have gone home with him. He was a bit too cool. I love this post. Very honest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is precisely why I have a slight obsession with Christian Grey. The confidence! I need to show my husband this post - I think he's afraid he needs to build another room onto the house to satisfy his kinky wife. It's so much simpler than that.

    God, I'm glad I found you. It's like someone else is writing exactly what I'm thinking so I don't have to be the weird, TMI one all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't have the faintest idea who Ryan Gosling is. I admire your forthrightness though.

    My husband also wears New Balance. I have never seen the attraction, but I am quite fond of him too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. *That's* who Nicholas Sparks is! I don't like romantic movies. Romantic comedies, yes, as long as they're heavy on the comedy. Ryan Goseling has become quite the guy in the past couple of years. Gotta love/want him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome post about why real marriage is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I share your distaste for overly saccharine romance. Because it's a lie. And I'm not jaded, just honest. I have happy marriage adn I love my husband, but I don't think you can recapture that butterflies of a new romance - that Oh my god he's kissing me!! - feeling after years of marriage and kids. That's why we fantasize about gosling. And I totally know what you mean about confidence. It's the sexiest thing in the world. I think some people just have it naturally, and for our husbands who periodically lack it - we can help them build it up, just like they do for us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Angela, thank you so much for the Liebster Award. I am honored. What a vote of confidence. You have made my day! So, 11 random facts and answer the 10 questions you have on your post and nominate others. I think I got it. It's early for me right now so I can't be trusted. Olivia and I are on our way to visit family this weekend. But I promise to get that post written by the middle of next week. I'm very excited... thank you again! I'll let you know when I get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You had me at "I hate Nicholas Sparks."

    ReplyDelete